- By choosing school meals you can rest assured that your child has a tasty and nutritious meal every day, packed full of the goodness that growing bodies need
- Our menus meet the government’s nutritional standards for school meals, a wide range of vegetarian meals (please note the meat is not halal)
- Children who eat a well-balanced diet at lunchtime are more likely to have better concentration levels in the afternoon, improving their learning, behaviour and health
- It saves you the time and effort of planning and preparing a varied and nutritious lunch for your child
- It’s one less job for busy parents to do
- No need to worry about the lunch box contents during the warm weather
- Provides the opportunity to further develop their social skills as they sit down with friends to enjoy their meals
- School meals help encourage good eating habits from an early age
- There are plenty of opportunities to try new foods, either on the standard menu or as part of promotional theme menus
Eligibility and how to apply for free school meals free school milk and free school uniform.
From September 2014, all pupils in years R, 1 and 2 are entitled to school meals under the Government's Universal Free Meals policy.
Parents of children in this age group are still encouraged to make an application for Free School Meals if they believe they meet the eligibility criteria because this also generates the Pupil Premium, which gives schools additional funding.
Parents of older children/young people may not have to pay for school lunches if they meet the eligibility criteria, and this also generates the Pupil Premium which gives schools additional funding.
Food Allergy and intolerance guidance
City Catering can provide an adjusted menu for primary and special school pupils with medical allergies, who want to have a school meal. Please note that these special diets are only for pupils with a medical issue, therefore medical evidence of the allergy will be required before a menu can be adjusted.
How to request an adjusted menu
Print and complete a food allergy referral form, to register with City Catering and ensure the school is aware of the allergy.
For information on the school, menus see the City Catering Southampton website https://www.citycateringsouthampton.co.uk/schoolmenus